Friday, October 14, 2011

Beadnick

      I have been looking for a new hobby that is creative, colorful, and doesn't make a permanent mess.  I discovered jewelry making, specifically beading.  I went to the "bead show" at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, a huge venue for all types of activities, especially craft shows.
      I had two necklaces with me that had broken and I hoped to find a vendor who could either fix them or sell me the materials to fix them myself.  I walked into the site and was astonished.  I wish I could have taken a picture that captured the enormity of the show.  As soon as I walked in I knew that I will have to take classes to learn how to bead.  Every vendor, and there were hundreds, had thousands of beads on strings.  They were categorized by types, i.e. crystal, wood, stone, Chinese pendants, wood from Africa, etc. I was bedazzled!  How does one even start a project?
      Then a nice lady vendor asked if she could help me.  I took out the first necklace that was missing a clasp.  She fixed it immediately  When I showed her the 40" multi-color, multi-shape, multi-material piece that was missing two stones and had a worn out string, she blew me away.  She said, "do you want me to teach you how to re-design and re-string it?"  I jumped at the chance for a private lesson in beginning beading...just as I was feeling overwhelmed by the variety for sale.  We worked for 2 hours; she did half and I did the other half.  I learned how to make a complete necklace, and it came out beautifully. (The photo is not of my necklace, but I like the delicacy of it.  I may use it as a model for another one.)  Then the lady (Nicole) told me she gives classes, but they were in Palm Desert!!!  That is where we have our vacation/part-time home.   It is a wonderful coincidence, and I will see Nicole again.

4 comments:

Kath said...

How lovely Myrna. Before I moved, I went to beading classes with 2 friends and we had a great time. I still have all my beads and tools, but have not had them out since I came here.
I would love to see what you make if you decide to take up the hobby!

MYRNA said...

Hi Kath. I'm really looking forward to this hobby. The types of beads available are endless...I spend too much time online looking for ideas, but as a beginner, I don't want to invest too much money. Then again, I want to produce quality products. We have fantastic bead shops here, so I will get help in reigning in my ideas. Should be fun.

Foody said...

It looks and sounds lovely hobby and something I might like to try sometime. I hope you have lots of fun and make some beautiful things.

MYRNA said...

Thanks Foody, It is lots of fun, and I have already spent too much money just getting the supplies and beads to make a few things. Hopefully, they will be nice enough to give as holiday gifts!