Sunday, April 11, 2010

ROAD TRIP!

COULD HAVE BEEN US IN THE 1970'S  

I found a website that really appeals to me (www.roadtripamerica.com).  It's full of information about wonderful back roads, destinations, articles, etc., that relate to car or RV travel throughout the USA.
   I don't know what the American version of the Anglophile is, but my husband and I fit into that category.  We have travelled throughout the world, and have seen many wonderful places that fill us with treasured memories.
   Sightseeing by car, with Howard driving in unfamiliar territory, has been a "trip" all its own, no matter what country we're in.  I think I may do some blogs about some of the predicaments in which we have found ourselves.  Car travel can be lots of fun; there are lots of things to discover when you are on your own.  If we were to rate our travel experiences, we would have to rate traversing America by car right on top. ( See "Teton Reflections")
   We have a Road Trip coming up.  We plan to explore the Gold Rush towns along Highway 49 in Northern California.  We went to the "Mother Lode Country" years ago, and don't expect it to be any different this time, at least we hope not.  The little towns in the Sierra Nevada foothills are charming and historic; we are very excited.
    As a finishing touch, we will spend 4 days in Sacramento at the "Dixieland Jazz Festival."  We haven't done that in quite a few years, and are really looking forward to visiting venues around the city and listening to that spirited and sometimes soulful music.

2 comments:

Bernard said...

I read the other day, that millions of Americans don't have passports and therefore had never been out of the country. I suppose with a huge and wonderful country like yours there is so much to see without leaving it.
You can go thousands of miles in all directions. If we try that here, we end up in the sea! Almost everyone in UK has a passport and holidays over in europe.
I am reading about Jan's trip at the moment (from California) touring Texas. Fascinating.
Cheers.....Bernard

MYRNA said...

At one time I thought that America had become homogenized to the point that travel to Louisiana wouldn't much different from a trip to North Dakota. But now, having been to a lot of places in the US, I can look past the MacDonald's and the Starbucks and see that there is still regional distinction among the people and the sites to see.
However, I am always happy to see a Starbucks.