Sunday, April 4, 2010

THE EARTH MOVES UNDER MY FEET!

 NORTHRIDGE QUAKE 1994

   Well, we just experienced an earthquake. The epicenter was near Mexicali, Mexico, about 120 miles south of where we live.  It was a huge one; 7.2 magnitude.  We felt it here near Santa Monica, but we in California are all too used to feeling earthquakes.  We speculate as to their magnitude, can describe the type of motion, and if it is a big one, like Northridge, experience damage to our homes.  I have been near the epicenters of Northridge, Landers, Whittier Narrows, and a few others.  Boy, it's exciting.  Water sloshes out of swimming pools, items fall off of shelves,  and chandeliers sway.  However, if it is a big one, its no joke! Houses slide off of their foundations, walls come tumbling down, power poles come down, precious items break, and human life is in danger.
   After the Northridge Quake I carried first aid, water, and sneakers in the trunk of my car for about a year.  Little by little I cleaned out the trunk, and the Quake Kit fell by the wayside. 
The big one today reminded me of how prepared we should be, because the earth will shake again.  (Now where did I put that first aid backpack?)

2 comments:

Bernard said...

I am really surprised that it can be felt 120 miles away. Gosh, that is new to me. It is something I have no experience of at all, but 120 miles is amazing ...and a bit frightening.
When someone here says, "Did you you fell the earth move?" it has a totally different meaning. :D :o

MYRNA said...

It has a double meaning here, too.