Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Heavy Heart

Oh boy!  I started the ball rolling regarding our putting Webber up for adoption.  I called the agency, Bichons and Buddies, from
whom we heard about him 3 years ago.  It has been a wonderful relationship between me and this dog.  We adore each other.  Howard likes him, but thinks he is a lot of trouble. I have been willing to overlook the problems and the expense, but it has gotten too hard to do all that it takes to be a good dog owner.

So, he is at the groomer this morning because the owner of the agency wants to come over and take his picture for the internet.  I am "holding in" being a wreck.  I am sure the dog will adjust better than I will.  He spends most of his time "sleeping around," and the rest of the time peeing and pooping.  What I will miss is our petting time, which is almost all the time he is awake.  He has a lot of bad habits that I won't miss, but on the whole life will seem more free, but definitely more lonely.

4 comments:

Kath said...

Oh Myrna, I don't envy you one bit, having to make such a tough decision. You've obviously given it a great deal of thought and I'm sure you're right, the little guy will adapt to a loving home. Don't feel too bad about giving him up, although he will leave a big hole in your life.

MYRNA said...

Hi Kath, as a dog owner you really understand. I wouldn't do it unless I felt it was better for us in the long run, and hopefully good for the dog as well. I'm just afraid I will be worrying about him for a long while. But I'm getting ahead of myself; maybe no one will want him! There aren't too many people clamoring for an 8 yr. old dog with bad habits!!!!!

Kath said...

let's hope there is the ideal home out there. I volunteered for many years, at a dog shelter. I was constantly surprised at the wonderful people who came to our doors, prepared to take on a difficult dog and there were far more happy outcomes than not. Webber is very appealing, so lets hope an experienced owner falls in love with him.

Foody said...

Oh dear, how sad. I hope the new owners will keep in touch and send you pictures and things so you know he is alright and happy - which I am sure he will be. Poor you.