Saturday, March 27, 2010

DISABLED ACCESS? I DON'T THINK SO.

     When I graduated from Law School I wanted to be a champion for the disabled.  I accomplished that to some degree, but I, myself, was an able-bodied person.  I had empathy for my clients, but could I REALLY understand what they were going through?  I thought so, but maybe not.
     Over the years I developed all kinds of orthopedic problems, making long distance walking and some other endeavors painful and difficult, if not impossible.  I heartily approved of the "American's with Disabilities Act," which required, among many other things, handicapped bathroom facilities in most establishments, and wheelchair ramps carved into the street corners. There have been lots of wonderful accommodations over the years.
    Now, however, I am temporarily unable to be weight-bearing on my left leg..  I am either pushed in a wheelchair or self-ambulatory on a "knee scooter, " an adorable, fantastic invention.  (Not me in the photo).  But I can only get off of it on the right side.  We have a two story home, so navigating the stairs is a major issue, only done when absolutely necessary; like to LEAVE THE HOUSE!  For the next three months I have canceled all unnecessary plans, because of the logistics of getting me out of here over to "there." 
    Now I realize that all ventures from the house require careful planning, calling ahead, etc.  Last night we went to a lovely, accessible restaurant for my birthday.  So far, so good.  The bathroom area was busy, and I didn't know the layout.  Since I was in a wheelchair that needed pushing, I didn't want my husband to halt all traffic while he helped me negotiate the project.  
   I was planning to attend a bridal shower next week, at someone's home.  "Oh, don't worry, it's all one level." said my friend.  But what about the sidewalk?  The walkway to the house; are there steps?  Is there a step down living room?  Are they having it outside?  How do you get to the yard?  Is the bathroom a) big enough for my scooter, and b) laid out so I can get off the scooter on the right side?  Is the bathroom in the restaurant really accessible?  Can I even open the door to get in?  All of these problems can be solved by asking for information, but for a "newbie" like me, there is still lots of insecurity.
    I knew a woman who had MS and was in a wheelchair.  As her condition deteriorated, her world became smaller.  A permanent caregiver, lots of shopping from home, restaurants that made her feel comfortable, chefs who would cut up the food in the kitchen, and lots of calling ahead to check out the accommodations.  
    Needing help (and asking for it) with personal grooming, mobility, meals, etc., is very difficult for me.  It must be more so for many people with permanent disabilities.  I give a lot of credit to people who have dealt with their issues and accomplished great things.  I also give a lot of credit to those who face the issues every day, and struggle to maneuver through a society that caters to those who physically are able to make it on their own.

    

No comments: