Wednesday, March 3, 2010

"Bad Break"- So to Speak

UNBELIEVABLE!
On Saturday night I slipped and fell in the bathroom; isn't that where most household accidents happen? The result was immediately obvious from the swelling and the pain....I broke my ankle.
I went to see Phillip Kwong MD at Kerlan Jobe. He specializes in feet and ankles. I DO have a broken ankle bone, a vertical crack on the Fibula. He put me in a humongous heavy removable boot (good for showering), that I have to wear all the time with a lighter one for sleep. THIS WILL TAKE 3 MONTHS TO HEAL....NON-WEIGHT BEARING ON THAT LEG.
This is requiring a lot of shifts in routine and attitude. I am relegated to the upstairs because of the difficulty of getting upstairs once I get down. I've hired wonderful help, Jennifer, who cared for both of us when we had joint replacements. She can come 3 days and Howard will take 4 days.
I have had to cancel all of the enjoyable activities of my life. My watercolor class, my therapy group (not always enjoyable, but good for me), a small vacation, and other important things. I am stressed out because I don't see how I will be able to get my hair colored and cut in a month, and my nails cut and manicured in two weeks. Not a big deal to many, but important to me.
I have ordered a steering knee scooter...like a kid's scooter with knee pads to rest the leg on while I scoot with the other leg and steer with handle bars. Cool.
I think the worst thing is negativity and depression. Today I can only think of what I cannot do.....I know I will come up with something fun and productive.


1 comment:

Bernard said...

Sorry to hear of this....I only read of it after the last comment I left.
I hate being cooped up indoors, it would drive me mad, but....look on the bright side...her is an opportunity to get your blog up and running. Your idea of a scooter is great....that will get you out and about....do your blog and tell us how you get on. "A problem shared is a problem halved"
Here's to a speedy recovery - Bernard